I am a John Curtin Distinguished Professor in the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology at Curtin University. I am also a Finland Distiguished Professor (FiDiPro) in the Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences, University of Jyväskylä, Finland funded by TEKES, the Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation. I have diverse research interests in the areas of health and social psychology. My research applies social cognitive and motivational theories to understand and to intervene and change diverse health behaviours such as physical activity, eating a healthy diet, smoking cessation, alcohol reduction, anti-doping behaviours in sport, and medication adherence. I am also interested in theory development and I have made several contributions to advancing social psychological theory including theory integration (e.g., the trans-contextual model and the integrated behaviour change model) and theory relating to ego-depletion. I am Founding Director of the Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine Research Group at Curtin University and the Laboratory of Self-Regulation (LaSeR). I am also editor-in-chief of Health Psychology Review and Stress and Health and editorial board member of nine other international peer-reviewed journals.
- Chan, D. K. C., & Hagger, M. S. (2012). Theoretical integration and the psychology of sport injury prevention. Sports Medicine, 42, 725-732.
- Hagger, M. S. (2010). Self-regulation: An important construct in health psychology research and practice. Health Psychology Review, 4, 57-65.
- Hagger, M. S. (2009). Theoretical integration in health psychology: Unifying ideas and complementary explanations. British Journal of Health Psychology, 14, 189-194.
- Hagger, M. S., Chatzisarantis, N., & Biddle, S. J. H. (2002). A meta-analytic review of the theories of reasoned action and planned behavior in physical activity: Predictive validity and the contribution of additional variables. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 24, 3-32.
- Hagger, M. S., Chatzisarantis, N., & Harris, J. (2006). From psychological need satisfaction to intentional behavior: Testing a motivational sequence in two behavioral contexts. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 32, 131-138.
- Hagger, M. S., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2012). The sweet taste of success: The presence of glucose in the oral cavity moderates the depletion of self-control resources. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0146167212459912
- Hagger, M. S., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2011). Causality orientations moderate the undermining effect of rewards on intrinsic motivation. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47(1), 485-489.
- Hagger, M. S., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2009). Integrating the theory of planned behaviour and self-determination theory in health behaviour: A meta-analysis. British Journal of Health Psychology, 14, 275-302.
- Hagger, M. S., Chatzisarantis, N. L. D., Alberts, H., Angonno, C. O., Batailler, C., Birt, A., Brand, R., Brandt, M. J., Brewer, G., Bruyneel, S., Calvillo, D. P., Campbell, D. K., Cannon, P. R., Carlucci, M., Carruth, N., Cheung, T., Crowell, A., De Ridder, D. T. D., Dewitte, S., Elson, M., Evans, J. R., Fay, B. A., Fennis, B. M., Finley, A., Francis, Z., Heise, E., Hoemann, H., Inzlicht, M., Koole, S. L., Koppel, L., Kroese, F., Lange, F., Lau, K., Lynch, B. P., Martijn, C., Merckelbach, H., Mills, N. V., Miyake, A., Mosser, A. E., Muise, M., Muller, D., Muzi, M., Nalis, D., Nurwanti, R., H., Otgaar, Philipp, M., Primoceri, P., Rentzsch, K., Ringos, L., Schlinkert, C., Schmeichel, B. J., Schoch, S. F., Schrama, M., Schütz, A., Stamos, A., Tinghög, G., Ullrich, J., vanDellen, M., Wimbarti, S., Wolff, W., Yusainy, C., Zerhouni, O., & Zwienenberg, M. (2016). A multi-lab pre-registered replication of the ego-depletion effect. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 11, 546-573. doi: 10.1177/1745691616652873
- Hagger, M. S., Chatzisarantis, N. L. D., Barkoukis, V., Wang, C. K. J., & Baranowski, J. (2005). Perceived autonomy support in physical education and leisure-time physical activity: A cross-cultural evaluation of the trans-contextual model. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97, 287-301.
- Hagger, M. S., Chatzisarantis, N. L. D., Culverhouse, T., & Biddle, S. J. H. (2003). The processes by which perceived autonomy support in physical education promotes leisure-time physical activity intentions and behavior: A trans-contextual model. Journal of Educational Psychology, 95, 784-795.
- Hagger, M. S., Chatzisarantis, N. L. D., Hein, V., Pihu, M., Soós, I., Karsai, I., Lintunen, T., & Leemans, S. (2009). Teacher, peer, and parent autonomy support in physical education and leisure-time physical activity: A trans-contextual model of motivation in four nations. Psychology and Health, 24, 689-711.
- Hagger, M. S., Lonsdale, A., Hein, V., Koka, A., Lintunen, T., Pasi, H. J., Lindwall, M., Rudolfsson, L., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2011). Predicting alcohol consumption and binge drinking in company employees: An application of planned behaviour and self-determination theories. British Journal of Health Psychology. Advance online publication.
- Hagger, M. S., Lonsdale, A. J., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2011). A theory-based intervention to reduce alcohol drinking in excess of guideline limits among undergraduate students. British Journal of Health Psychology. Advance online publication.
- Hagger, M. S., Lonsdale, A. J., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2011). Effectiveness of a brief intervention using mental simulations in reducing alcohol consumption in corporate employees. Psychology, Health and Medicine, 16(4), 375-392.
- Hagger, M. S., Lonsdale, A., Koka, A., Hein, V., Pasi, H., Lintunen, T., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2012). An intervention to reduce alcohol consumption in undergraduate students using implementation intentions and mental simulations: A cross-national study. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 19, 82-96. doi: 10.1007/s12529-011-9163-8
- Hagger, M. S., Luszczynska, A., de Wit, J., Benyamini, Y., Burkert, S., Chamberland, P.-E., Chater, A. M., Dombrowski, S., van Dongen, A., French, D. P., Gauchet, A., Hankonen, N., Karekla, M., Kinney, A. Y., Kwasnicka, D., Lo, S. H., López-Roíg, S., Meslot, C., Marques, M. M., Neter, E., M., Plass A., Potthoff, S., Rennie, L., Scholz, U., Stadler, G., Stolte, E., A., ten Hoor G., Verhoeven, A. A. C., Wagner, M., Oettingen, G., Sheeran, P., & Gollwitzer, P. M. (2016). Implementation intention and planning interventions in health psychology: Recommendations from the Synergy expert group for research and practice. Psychology & Health, 7, 814-839. doi:10.1080/08870446.2016.1146719
- Hagger, M. S., & Orbell, S. (2003). A meta-analytic review of the common-sense model of illness representations. Psychology and Health, 18, 141-184.
- Hagger, M. S., Wood, C., Stiff, C., & Chatzisarantis, N. L. D. (2010). Ego depletion and the strength model of self-control: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 136, 495-525.
- Hardcastle, S. J., Fortier, M. S., Blake, N., & Hagger, M. S. (in press). Identifying techniques to change motivation and behavior within motivational interviewing and relations with techniques from an existing taxonomy of behavior-change techniques. Health Psychology Review. doi:10.1080/17437199.2016.1190659
- Discovering Psychology
- Social and Behavioural Health
- Social and Developmental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Social Psychology of Exercise and Sport
Martin S. Hagger
School of Psychology and Speech Pathology
GPO Box U1987
- Phone: +61 8 9266 2215
- Fax: +61 8 9266 2464
- Skype Name: mshagger